FriBID is open source
software for the Swedish e-id system called BankID.
FriBID also supports processor architectures and Linux/BSD distributions
that the official software doesn't support.
The latest version is 1.0.4 (changelog).
Please note that Nexus Personal / BankID Säkerhetsprogram
must be uninstalled before you can start using FriBID.
- Is FriBID an official BankID client?
- No, it's not. Use of FriBID is at your own risk. Please bear in mind that if another person gets control over your eID, they can enter into contracts in your name (e.g. making purchases on credit), or obtain sensitive information from authorities etc.. It's important that you keep your computer secure and only download FriBID from sources that you trust. Note that the pre-compiled FriBID packages for various operating systems may have been created by a third party (including those linked from the download page).
- Is FriBID compatible with the latest version of BankID?
- No, at least not yet. This will require a large "reverse engineering" effort of the new network protocol (see also this thread on the forum). But a few services are still using the old system. On the wiki there's a list of banks and services that still work with FriBID.
- My e-id is a smart card, can I use it?
- Yes, but a few extra steps are required after the installation, see the wiki (in Swedish, unfortunately).
- Is it possible to obtain a new e-id with FriBID?
- Yes. Please report problems on the forums or on the fribid-user mailing list!
- Will FriBID continue working after BankID's technology shift?
- The plan is to adapt FriBID to the new system during 2014, but we can't promise anything.
- Is FriBID secure?
- Use of FriBID is entirely at your own risk, but we're doing our best to make it secure of course.
- Where/how are the e-id (certificate) files stored by FriBID?
- They are stored in PKCS#12 format in a directory called
in your home directory. The official software used to store certificate files
there too, up to version 4.10.
- How can I check that FriBID is working?
- You can do that on this test page.